Saturday, July 14, 2007

2nd Last day of the Toronto Fringe 2007!

Dear Gentle Readers,

It is the second last day of the Toronto Fringe! To your left is 'The Bushmobile' our customized rig that we tour around North America in. It opens up into a flat-bed truck so we can 'Preach & Peel' where ever we go.

The other day there was a voice mail from a woman who had seen 'Two in the Bush!' and wanted to know if I would bring the show to a seniors home! How fantastic! You bet I will. It got me thinking about doing stand-up comedy on the 'Seniors Centre Circuit'. Material written especially for them, about living communally in a home, the food, who's sleeping with whom, who gets the most visitors, etc! But I do think it would be funnier coming from an actual senior who has lived that life and would speak from the insiders perspective...maybe I can coach them on writing their own material. And we can start a Elders Yuk-Yuks.

Last nights show was a blast. Many friends were in the audience including playwright John Lazarus. He was my one-person show instructor at Studio 58 where I went to theatre school in Vancouver. A wonderful writer/performer and great teacher.

Keep your eyes peeled for a Soul-O-Theatre Weekend Intensive on creating your own one-person show...coming in September!

Keep it Burning,
TES

1 comment:

Josh Rachlis said...

I've often thought of doing the senior's home comedy circuit. It's a captive, appreciative audience. And it's a growing market! I'll be your warm-up act. "So, what's the deal with the handles they put in our bathtubs? How much fun do they think I'm having in there? (pause for laughter) Although... It's true... When Nurse Leibovic visits on Thursdays... (pause for more laughter)... That's my time! Thanks so much! Try the kosher brisket!"